There are some vegetarians and vegans who are worried about getting pregnant because they are not sure if their babies would still get enough nutrition without consuming meat. They know that they cannot just start eating meat because their bodies are not used to it anymore but they also do not want to risk the health of their babies.
Studies now show that it is okay to continue your way of eating and be pregnant at the same time. The only thing you need to remember is to do things correctly so you will not risk the health of your child.
It is vital that you are only going to continue with this type of diet if you are a vegetarian or a vegan even before you got pregnant. If you were never a vegetarian before, you cannot just stop yourself from eating meat just because you are carrying your baby inside you.
To make eating vegetarian food products and meals more appealing to your pregnant tastebuds, you can check out Vegancookbook.com. Pregnant women normally have out-of-this-world cravings. Some may crave for various fruits and they would need those fruits at the soonest possible time otherwise they can get cranky. You would like to get food that you can easily prepare but will taste amazing.
There are some essential minerals and nutrients that you need for your pregnancy:
- Protein – If you would like to improve the cell growth of your baby, get enough protein from various types of vegetables. It is not true that only meat contains protein. Soybeans will provide the type of protein that you need. You need about one half cup of beans. Other sources of protein are nuts and cheese.
- Vitamin B12 – This is important to ensure that red blood cells will formulate appropriately. There are some breakfast cereals that contain this Vitamins if you are a vegan but if you still eat eggs and other dairy products, these can be your main sources of this important vitamin.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – This is known to be available in a lot of oily fish. The fatty acids are healthy fats that your growing baby needs in order to improve your baby’s brain and nervous system. If you do not eat fish anymore, you can learn more about the various plant sources like algae and leafy green vegetables. It will also help if you would take some of your doctor’s recommended vitamins.
- Calcium – This is a mineral that is needed to improve your baby’s bone and teeth health. It can also do a lot for your baby’s overall development. If you are a vegetarian, you can get your calcium from dairy sources but if you are vegan, you need to drink more orange juice and other juices. Make sure that these juices contain enough calcium that will best suit your needs.
- Iron – This is known to be one of the most important minerals that your baby needs in order to be strong and healthy. This can deliver healthy red blood cells to your baby so that it can grow stronger. You need about 50mg of iron every day. You can get this mineral from beans, prune juices, raisins, spinach and so much more.
As long as you know the right diet to follow, you will be able to get the right vitamins and nutrients for your baby.